Each day immigrants are affected by intentional inhumane situations created by the Trump administration.
Information continues to pour out that the Trump administration’s escalation of brutal assaults towards immigrants and refugees has reached new, much more horrific lows, with youngsters being held in unspeakable situations in focus camps on the border. Simply yesterday, extra photographs and tales emerged concerning the horrific situations that youngsters and households are enduring.
In a robust response, tens of hundreds of MoveOn members and our allies took to the streets yesterday to demand our members of Congress act to shut the camps.
Tens of hundreds of individuals such as you—members of MoveOn, United We Dream, Households Belong Collectively, and American Associates Service Committee, together with greater than 50 sponsor organizations—held over 175 protests in over 40 states. And greater than 800 letters had been hand-delivered to members of Congress, making certain they acquired our calls for and really feel the strain to behave.
Our message was heard all over the world—and within the dwelling districts of our representatives and senators.
These Shut the Camps protests have modified the way in which our whole nation is speaking concerning the atrocities being dedicated on our southern border. Greater than 1,500 native information clips broadcasted our demand to shut the camps and to determine an immigration system that uplifts the human rights of all individuals. Collectively, we’re making certain that our message can’t be ignored.
We’re highly effective after we act collectively, and our work is simply starting.
Congress is already debating funding ranges of those companies for subsequent yr, and one of the crucial vital methods to carry these companies accountable is to cease giving them cash to commit human rights violations. Meaning we have to sustain the strain on our members of Congress to ensure that they don’t give in to Donald Trump and the Republicans in September, earlier than authorities funding runs out on September 30.
We’ve received lots of work forward of us. Right here’s what’s subsequent and how one can take motion:
1. Name your members of Congress. Whether or not you went to a neighborhood protest yesterday or not, dial (844) 899-8261 now to name your consultant, after which dial (855) 300-3836 to name your senators. Say to them, “Shut the camps, cease funding household detention and deportation, bear witness and reunite households.”
2. Contribute to make sure that everybody in detention has authorized illustration, so that they don’t need to face an immigration choose alone. Donate to the Texas Civil Rights Mission, a company that’s offering free authorized providers to immigrants in detention. Click here to contribute now.
3. Signal the petition to say Congress should shut the camps! Add your name now.
4. Protest or go to a detention heart and shine a lightweight on what’s occurring in our communities. Download United We Dream’s resource now.
5. Be a part of a Summer season Service Social to attach with MoveOn members in your neighborhood, give again to your neighborhood, and construct the sturdy bonds wanted to make lasting change. For those who don’t see a Summer season Service Social occasion scheduled in your neighborhood but, signal as much as host one. Click here to find or host a Summer Service Social near you.
For the reason that 2016 election, MoveOn members have persistently risen as much as cease the worst of Trump’s insurance policies. Only one yr in the past, together with shut companions and allies, we organized historic rallies that led to an finish of Trump’s merciless household separation coverage.
Now, we should proceed to behave to cease every escalation of violence and cruelty from this administration. Collectively, we’ll create an America that welcomes and treats all individuals with dignity and respect.